Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Chapter 43: Redemption is Key

I stood there stumped. We weren't meant to be together? She didn't want to be with me?

Okay... yah I wasn't right in leaving the first time. But I left because I didn't want to do something stupid like shove my foot in my mouth. Some how that happened anyways. Lucy... Fuck I can't believe I forgot about that. What the hell was I thinking!? And now... Now I completely fucked this up.

I sighed, racking my brain to figure out what to say to her to make her stay. To make her see that I was worth it... Kind of. No I wasn't... This girl was worth thirty of me... She should run while she still could... Before I could really hurt her.

I pulled my face away from her as tears welled in my eyes. I set my jaw as so I wouldn't cry, at least not around anyone.

Listening to her soft sigh and then the footsteps that lead her away from me, I finally climbed into my jag and headed home. Trying desperately to collect my thoughts.



The house was empty when I got there... Eerily so... It didn't help that the decorating still hadn't been done. We'd been to busy fighting. No... I'd been too busy accusing her of shit to let her actually do something with the place.

I headed up the stairs to our bedroom on autopilot, dropping my bag on the floor. I sighed as I saw a white book peeking out from underneath a pile of clean laundry. I bent down to pick it up. A photo album? Why had I never seen this before?

Slowly, lovingly, I flipped through the pages, feeling I learned more about Harley the further I got.

One. She looked exactly like her mom. I could see why her dad loved her like she did.

Two. Her dad was the best dad he could be. There were so many pictures of them together, smiling like goons.

Three. Jared... Jason... whoever he was. Was a close friend.

I sighed, running my finger down picture Harley's face, side by side with Jason dressed in football pads, helmets underneath their arms.



An hour... It had been an hour and she still wasn't home. I tried calling a few times, but it just went to voice mail. I hung up every time, still trying to figure out what to say, how to say it. Lucy... She was easy to write off... I mean I just met the girl. We'd only talked for a few minutes really?

As beautiful as Lucy was... She couldn't compare. Not to Harley. Not to her alabaster skin... Or her soft chestnut hair... her petite frame with those crazy curves. The ones that drove me to absolute distraction. The ones that caused missed plays reliving that night in my mind.

You are one dumb sack of shit, Sid. I scolded myself as I felt hot new tears finally crest my eyes over onto my cheeks. I wiped at my face fiercely as I heard someone open the door. I watched Harley step into our still empty front entrance, before turning my glance back at my empty hands. I felt her brush by me as my tongue turned to sand, not letting me say anything I wanted to before she walked out for good.

I watched as the door shut behind her. My world in the bag she carried with her. I slowly moved into the kitchen and grabbing the closest phone to me. Dialing familiar numbers I waited not even two rings before the only person who could help me picked up his phone.

“Allo?” His voice flooded my ears, causing me to sigh deeply in appreciation.

“Flower, it's Sid. I fucked up man.” Listening as he groaned.

“Mon ami... This is not my area of expertise.” I sighed deeply, there goes my only hope. “Hold on... Vero wants to speak to you.”

“What did you do, Sidney?” Vero's soft voice coursed through the phone, causing me to feel like a five year old being caught stealing cookies.

“Nothing big... Accused her of having an affair and then inviting some random girl to go running with me. Typical Crosby day to day things.” I groaned my forehead resting against a wall in the kitchen.

“YOU DID WHAT?” Vero screamed at me through the phone. “De toutes les choses moronic vous pourriez faire...”

“I know, V... I know, ok. I just need to fix it. Somehow...” Please Vero have an idea of what I can use to climb out of this black hole.

“Well... ok. Only because I like Harley. And I think she is good for you.” I heard Vero sigh before speaking again. “You need a big gesture. What does she love more than anything?”

“Her Mustang...” I smiled remembering how often that car breaks down. “But she never gets a chance to work on it. She loves working on cars.”

“So... how can you give her the ability to work on cars, the cars she wants to, when she wants to?” I lifted my head off the wall. She could work on them here... but... There was no room. I could... My brain clicked to a photo in the album I found. Fiona Motors wasn't always Fiona Motors. It was at one point Scott Motors.

“I could buy her the dealership and shop!” It took a second to hear Vero protesting to that idea.

“Sid! She won't accept it from you right now. Plus you don't need your name in lights for this. Buy it anonymously. She'll appreciate that more.” I could almost see Vero nod through the phone.

“Thanks, V!” I exclaimed, “You're a life saver.” I hung up the phone and ran out the door. Now... First... Fiona Motors, Rhonda should still be there. Then... Find Harley.



Rhonda was easy to find. Still sitting in the office in the back, surrounded by papers. I knocked lightly on the door window, causing her to jump and rush over to throw open the door.

“Sidney! I haven't seen you since Jason showed up... Or Harley for that matter. Is everything ok?” She questioned narrowing her eyes at me.

“Ummm... not really. But I'm fixing it. Which is why I'm here!” I smile widely, pulling out my cheque book. “Rhonda, I need you to buy Fiona Motors for me. And I don't want Harley to know.” She opened her mouth to protest and I held up a finger to stop her as I pulled a pen out of my shirt pocket and started to write Fiona's name on the otherwise blank cheque. “Look, this shop was her dad's. Fiona's done nothing too it. You and Harley run it. You and Harley should reap the rewards. So I really want to do this for Har. Please?”

“I'll try, Romeo. No promises though. Fiona's a tough customer.” Rhonda shook her head taking the cheque.

“I don't care. Don't take no for an answer. Just call me and warn me the price before you hand over the cheque.” I grinned pulling the slight woman to me in a hug. “Thanks, Rhonda. Now I have to find her!” I called behind me as I ran out the door.




I ran up to Megan's door, figuring if Harley went anywhere... it'd be here... After several minutes of knocking the door I gave up. Megan wouldn't answer the door to me anyways... I hurt her best friend.

A light bulb clicked in my head as I moved back towards my Jag. Jordan was taking her back to Thunder Bay for Christmas. Where would Harley go?

I jumped as my phone chirped, answering just before the machine picked up.

“2.4 mill, Sir... If that's ok with you.” Rhonda's voice cut through the line before I could even say hello.

“That's fine, Rhonda.” I replied easily, hearing Fiona gasp in the background.

“Please doing business with you Fiona. I'll make sure you're stuff is sent back to the house tomorrow.” Rhonda laughed, and I could hear the crumpling of papers under her arm. “Sign, sealed and delivered, Sidney. Now go get the girl!”

“I'd love to, Rhonda. I don't know where she is!” I sighed, sitting in my Jag not moving.

“Do you know where the Prince of Peace Parish Cemetery is?” She asked in a motherly fashion.

“Yah... I think so.” I nodded, why would she send me there?

“Her dad's grave is there. I bet you'd find her there too.” She laughed softly as I thanked her profusely and threw my car into drive heading towards the cemetery.


I walked towards the bundled lump, next to a dark headstone, folding my legs underneath me as I sat in the wet grass.

“I wish you'd at least go home. I can move back to Mario's. But you shouldn't have to be out here. Not alone.” I sighed into my hands, not looking at her, though I could feel her gaze on me.

“It's your house, Sid. I don't want to intrude.” She whispered, as I finally lifted my eyes to hers.

“It's our house. Your's in the very least. I don't really want to be there if you're not there with me.” I shrugged. “Har, look... I'm sorry about Lucy. I literally met her the day before. She said she was looking for a running partner. Nothing else. She doesn't even have my phone number.” I watched her closely as her eyes softened at me. I scooched over towards her and caught a tear as it tried to hit her cheek. “And I was wrong to not let you tell me about Jason. I just... He's a lot better looking then I am... and I got a little jealous.” I sighed trying to think of my next words. “Harley, I miss you, and you've only been gone for an hour or two. I don't want to loose you. And yah, our relationship is moving fast. But we can slow it down. Maybe you could live at the house, and I'll move back to Mario's. For a little while. Or, we could pick up where we left off. But it's your choice, Har. No one else's.” I bit my lip waiting for her answer. She sighed deeply and stared at the headstone in front of her for a long time. It felt like hours!

“I think that we have a lot of trust to rebuild. But I think we can do that together. But, Sid... No more running off okay?” She grinned slightly as I nodded.

“I promise. There aren't any other good looking army guys I need to watch out for are there?” She shook her head laughing. I stood up slowly offering her my hand. I pulled her tightly to me as she took it; before gathering up all the blankets and heading back towards our vehicles.

3 comments:

  1. If I ever met Harley, she would mysteriously disappear and Sid would ask to be traded to Seattle, even though Seattle doesn't have a NHL team. I'm sure he could build one from thin air though. Damn, good thing this is fiction. Making me all crazy psycho for Sid. Kinda scary.

    ANYWAYS, I'm happy she's taken him back, and I can't wait to find out how she reacts to the shop!! EKK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Yay!!!

    So cute! I really loved that he bought that for her... does this mean no more Fiona?! ... God I hope so!

    Really though, this was so good Heather... I can't stop grinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! Great update! I can't believe that Sid bought the shop for her. Wonder how she is going to react!!

    ReplyDelete