Monday, November 9, 2009

Chapter 41: Bumps on the Road

I parked the jag just down the street and started towards the entrance of Fiona Motors. Harley's day was almost over, and since it was an off day for us, mine never really began. My smile grew as I spotted her wiping her hands after climbing out from underneath a Lincoln Navigator.


"Hey Har... You almost done grease bunny?" I chuckled planting a kiss on her temple. She nodded, but I could tell her attention was on someone other than me. I watched as her face light up and followed her gaze to a tall guy dress in loose fitting jeans and a tight t-shirt showing off a well defined chest and arms. Harley squealed slightly before breaking away from me and running towards him. I stood slowly feeling a grimace fold across my face as I watched this bozo's face light up as he enveloped my girlfriend in his arms. My eyes narrowed at the two as she turned back and glanced at me. I barely heard Jordan beside me as he began to push me out the door.

"You gonna be ok to drive, man?" I nodded as my blood began to boil in my veins. I needed to get this aggression out before it killed me. I slid into my jag and blasted off as quickly as I could, I needed to get as far away from here as I could.




Having no clue how I got home, I pulled into the garage and stormed upstairs. Throwing on a pair of track pants, a workout shirt and jacket, a ball cap pulled low and my runners; before running back downstairs and straight out the door.

My feet pound against the concrete and my breath puffs in front of me as I throw all of my aggression and confusion into my actions. Who the hell was this guy? How the hell did he know Harley? Was he an ex boyfriend? A brother? She didn't tell me she had any siblings....


What the hell was going on?! She never came running to me like that. I had to fight tooth and nail to make her see that she was worth something... anything... And this guy just magically appears and she comes running?


I stopped at a park bench, stretching out my now burning legs before sitting on it and watching kids play in the park. What did he have that I didn't?


"Hey!" A young voice pulled me out of my thoughts as I directed my attention to the small boy beside me. "You're Sidney Crosby!" Forcing a smile on my face I nodded. This was the last thing I needed right now.


"Conner, leave him alone!" Another voice joined us making me move my attention to a set of crystal clear, blue eyes. "Sorry about that." She laughed softly. "My brother thinks everyone is Sidney Crosby."


"I do not Lucy!" Conner exclaimed pointing at me. "That actually is Sidney Crosby." I sighed knowing there was no way for me to get out of this now. "Just cuz you hate hockey doesn't mean it's not him!"


"He's right..." I calmly stated. "At least about who I am. I'm Sid." Offering my hand as I smiled softly at Lucy, taking in her full appearance. She was cute. Golden blond hair, athletic... but with curves in the right places, and then those eyes... They were like staring into the ocean.


She gasped audibly before shaking my hand.


"You really are him?" She whispered causing me to nod as I chuckled. "What are you doing down here?"


"I uh... Just moved to the neighbourhood actually." I shrugged, pulling myself up off the bench, still finding myself eye to eye with Lucy. She was taller then Harley, that's for sure. "I was just out for a run. Decided to stop for a break." I lied, she didn't need the reason for my run.


"You run?" She asked excitedly, I grinned as her eyes danced.


"Every day... Why?"


"My running partner moved out of town last week, and I hate running alone." She shrugged nonchalantly.


"Well, why don't you meet me tomorrow morning at my place? We'll try each other out as partners." I suggested. She nodded emphatically causing me to chuckle as I wrote down the address on the piece of paper she pulled out of her purse. I turned back towards the house before calling over my shoulder. "See you tomorrow, Lucy. See you soon, Conner." I chuckled as the boy began to exclaim excitedly about how I knew his name.






Harley's Mustang was sitting in the driveway as I jogged up the steps and into the house.


"Sid?" She called from the kitchen as I high tailed it to the master bathroom. I still wasn't ready to face her. I started the shower, letting it heat up as I went into our bedroom to shed the sweaty running gear. "Are you ignoring me because Jason showed up today?" I spun around to find Harley standing in the doorway with her arms crossed over her chest. I shrugged easily, like I didn't care, trying desperately not to show the tension and anger bubbling under my skin.


"Oh was that who that was?" I asked lightly, moving into the bathroom, and shower as she followed me closely, sitting on the counter.


"You can't just ignore me, Sidney." She called over the sound of the water, causing me to scoff at her statement.


"I'm not ignoring you, Harley. I'm taking a shower. That's what I do when I get home from a run. Nothing's changed."


"Can we at least talk about this?" I sighed at the tone of her voice. What did she want me to say?


"About what, Har?" I asked softly, turning off the water and wrapping a towel around my waist, before stepping out from behind the glass. "About how you ran to him? About how you still haven't told me who this Jason guy is? Let alone why he's here." I sighed softly, shaking my head. "I don't know if I want to know, Harley. I'm not going to compete with that. Not with the smile he put on your face." I moved so I was standing between her two beautiful legs. "I so rarely get to see that smile... I don't want to take it away..." My eyes saddened at the frown set on her beautiful lips as I moved a piece of hair behind her ear. "Why would I?"


"Sid... Jason's just-" She started before I placed my finger across her lips.


"I told you, Har. I don't want to know. I don't care." lie. "Just pick... And pick the guy who's gonna make you happy, Harley Scott." I sighed before kissing her quickly, lightly. "I'm gonna stay at Mario's for a couple days. Let you think about it."


"Sid, I-" I pulled away from her, shaking my head before moving back into our bedroom, changing quickly into a pair of jeans and a hoodie. I stood in front of the closet before pulling out a small overnight bag. A couple of t-shirts, some jeans, boxers, socks. And my suit. That'll do.


"We have a game Wednesday night. I'll have a ticket waiting for you. We can talk after that if you want." I suggested, not looking her in the eyes, as I swung the bag over my shoulder. I pulled her into a tight hug from where she stood by the bathroom. "I still love you, Har. No matter what you decide I'll still love you." I whispered into her hair, before kissing the top of her head, feeling the sobs that were building in her. I had to get out of here before I couldn't leave at all. "See ya, babe." I whispered one last time before pulling away from her and out of the house.






I stepped back into Mario and Nathalie's house, trying desperately not to get caught as I moved back up to my wing of the house.


"SID!" Austin cried launching himself at me before I even made it to the staircase. "You're HOME!" I sighed deeply as he latched onto my ankles.


"Yah, buddy... I'm home." I tried to smile as Nathalie came into the room at her son's out burst.


"You're back?" She questioned softly.


"Just for a couple of days." I shrugged before reaching down and untangling Austin's arms. "I hope..." I sighed heading up the stairs. Space... That's what I needed. Down time and space. I sighed as someone knocked on my door, before Mario walked through.

"Thought you moved out?" He grinned sitting on the edge of the bed. "What happened Sid?"

"What didn't happen?" I spat, ripping apart some random piece of paper in my hands. "I just... She needed some time to think. I'm giving it to her." I sighed, finally turning to my employer. "I'll figure it out. I just needed some time." He nodded before standing and heading to the door again.

"Think before you let her go, Sidney. She makes you happy." I nodded, staring at my hands as I heard the door click shut behind him. Now I wait.... 2 days wasn't too long... Was it?

4 comments:

  1. My heart just broke. Heather, you just broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm...

    all I can think right now is... it's gonna be a pretty messy scene when Lucy shows up and meets Harley... dun dun dun....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is going to be a mess! What was Sid thinking about being running partners with Lucy? Harley will flip when she shows up to meet him!! Why wouldn't Sid just let Harley explain who Jason was to her! Can't wait to see what happens next with these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GUH!!!!!

    UUGHHH!!!!!

    ditto with Zigh... Lucy showing up... no Siddy poo....

    I uh... DAMN IT SID.

    I would love for Jason to turn out to be her gay best friend. The *snap snap* to her personality. He'll feel like AN ASS. Ugh... I don't know though.. my mind is wandering again. haha.

    ReplyDelete