Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chapter 36: Sunset Drive.

A sat in silence, indulging in one of the warmest family atmospheres I had ever experienced in my life. They were perfect... Well to me they were perfect. We laughed and talked together on our way home like we had all known each other since birth.

As we rounded a a curve in the road an approached what I assumed to be their street I couldn’t help but smile at the thought of me and Sidney having a house to our own. I shook my head free of those thoughts, only because I honestly didn’t want to get my hopes up.

“So here’s Sid’s house... What time are you guys going to head over for dinner?” Troy asked brightly helping us get out luggage out of the trunk.
“Well, I was going to just going to drop our stuff off and then drive over?” Sidney said rubbing my back as we waited outside on the front porch.

“Sounds good sweetheart, we’ll see you soon” Trina said ask Sidney kissed her cheek with a hug. We waved goodbye as they drove away and we turned into his house. I smiled as he toured me around the his ‘escape’ as he had called it.

It was the end of October and starting to get cold again so we wouldn’t be able to enjoy the offerings of the lake that was behind the house, but just the sight of the calm water was enough.

“Ready to go?” he asked poking his head into the bathroom where I was washing my face. I dried quickly face and found my place in his arms as we walked out to the car.

“So is this dinner serving as a sort of late thanksgiving?” I asked curious at the decorations around the house as we parked outside.
“Yah... Thanksgiving has always been really important to us, my family and I have a lot to be thankful for.” he smiled kissing my head lightly.

We walked in and immediately our noses were filled with the most amazing smells I had ever inhaled in my life. I was used to cooking a lot for rat pack back home, but I had never put this much heart into it.

“Hey guys!” Sidney yelled slightly as we took off our boots and jackets. They all came rushing from their spots in the house towards us wishing happy holidays and giving hugs. After everyone dispersed slightly, Sid took my hand and led me up a flight of stairs.

“Don’t laugh” he said meekly “I kinda had a purple coloured room” we laughed as he swung open his old room. Each wall was covered in ribbons and trophies and jerseys. I gawked at everything in fascination... I had never won anything.

“This is all yours?” I questions walking slowly around the room, reading the awards. Sidney’s arms snaked around my waist from behind and he placed his chin on my shoulder, kissing it lightly. “Some of it... My mom insisted on making the basement a crosby hall of fame with me and Tay’s stuff... So the important stuff is al there” he mumbled into my shoulder.
“Everything you win’s important...” I whispered touching things lightly as I looked.

I turned in his arms and found my way to his lips. He depended it and I thought I was about ready to explode. If this wasn’t his parents home, right now would be the time I would finally give in to the temptations I have been so scared of... Sex.

“Sidney! Harley!.... Potatoes are Cooking!” Trina called from the kitchen. I tore away from his lips and gave him a questioning look.
“Potatoes are Cooking?” he laughed and pecked me gently. “Family football time, let’s go!” he said pulling down the stairs.

“So everyone knows the rules? Harley don’t worry if you want to sit it out after a while... They can be competitive” Trina laughed from her foldy chairs on the cold grass field down the street.

I nodded lightly, as the game began. I was with Troy... We had decided it would be fair that way.

Troy and I exchanged high fives more often than any of the crosby’s would have guessed. After intercepting a great pass from sidney to taylor I ran the length of the field for another touchdown.

“Where did you learn to play like that?” Sidney asked huffing as I ran back to where everyone was standing by Trina. I shrugged and smiled as we all walked back to the house to eat the food.

We sat around the table getting ready and serving plates.
“Now Harley, what we usually do is that we go around the table and everyone says what their thankful for” Trina said gently sitting down. Troy starting, then Taylor then Sidney.

“I’m thankful that through all the hectic times there are during the year, I still have my family that loves me, and an amazing girlfriend there when I need her. He said kissing my cheek lightly. I blushed at his words and whispered a light thank you.

“Harley... How about you sweetheart” Trina smiled towards me. I looked around the table and my eyes fell on Sidney. “I’m thankful for Sidney, someone I know when I need to will be there. And for you guys. Because this is the first time in my whole life that I’ve felt apart of something..” I said as a small tear fell down my cheek. Sidney leaned over and kissed it away and squeezed my knee.

“we wouldn’t have it any other way” Trina said, letting her own few tears fall lightly down her face. “Let’s dig in everyone” Troy said lightly rubbing his wife’s back. As we all fell into comfortable conversation.

A four day break from our crazy lives passed faster than I had anticipated. We found ourselves back at the luggage claim in Pittsburgh, fitting perfectly into each others body’s as we moved from the airport out to the car in the lot.

We had been driving for a while listening to the light sounds of the radio. As I thumbed through the pictures on Sidney’s digital camera I came across one of us that Trina must have taken. We were on the end of a dock in town and the sun was setting behind our interlocked lips.

“I like that one” Sid said looking over at it as he pulled down a street.
“So are you excited to go home?” he asked turning again down another street...sunset drive. I nodded numbly... What home did I have.

The car stopped in an unknown driveway that looked a little familiar. Sidney turned his body and took my hands.

“I can’t promise that I’m going to be easy to live with... And that y schedule wont be annoying... But I was wondering if you would like to move in with me?”

1 comment:

  1. So sweet!!! So glad that they had a great and relaxing time at Cole Harbour with Sid's family!!! Can't wait to see what happens once they are living together!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete