Sunday, September 20, 2009

Chapter 20: Sacrifice For Love

I stared wordlessly at my phone. She didn't want to be with me.... I thought briefly about calling her back and trying to convince her to change her mind, but it was pointless... She's gone. I sighed as I slowly set my phone on the counter. I felt empty... Like colours would never be the same. Like life had ended but for some stupid reason I was still breathing.

She didn't want me. I couldn't function. Did I still have my arms? legs?

"Kid!?" A voice I barely heard call through to me. "Sidney... We have... Are you ok, kid?" Marc-Andre stepped in front of me forcing me to look up at him.


"She was supposed to be different..." I sighed, lowering my eyes to my phone. "I thought..." A sigh escaped my throat as I reached for my suit jacket. "It doesn't matter..." I stood slowly and headed outside to my baby.

"You sure you don't want to ride with me?" Marc asked standing next to my car. I nodded slowly.

"I want my own escape, Flower... Thanks though." I smiled sadly as I climbing into my Jag and started the engine. She purred to life beautifully... Wow, Harley did a really good job on her. I bit my lip pushing thoughts of Harley and her gorgeous body away.




I slowly walked into the locker room, my routine was shot. I was later than everyone else and they were all... laughing at me?

"How'd it go with, Harley?" Max called out to me as I sat in my stall, hanging my head. "Didn't she enjoy her surprise?" He nudged Cookie standing next to him, I looked sideways at him, half glaring, half having no idea what he's talking about. A couple of the guys chuckled as I glanced around the room, finally my eyes landed on Jordan. He was grinning easily, I wanted to pound that stupid little grin right off his pretty little face, son of a--

"Sid," Coach Dan's voice broke through my rampaging thoughts. "C'mere a second." I rose slowly out of my stall, still glaring at Jordan as I made my way out of the locker room and around the corner to his office. "What's going on tonight, Sid? I thought you were going to murder someone in there."

"Just Jordan..." I mumbled under my breath lightly. I sighed as he stared at me confused. "Sorry, Coach... I'll figure it out."

"Good to hear, Sidney... Let's just pull together for the game. You can kill Jordan after the win." He chuckled as he shooed me out of his office. He heard that? oops.

I walked back into a deadly silent locker room, Jordan sitting in his stall looking at the floor sheepishly. I gave him one last glare before gearing up quickly. I bumped him with my shoulder harshly as we left for the ice. I couldn't let him off that easily.





The game wasn't my best. The beginning was awesome, all my anger and frustration at Jordan poured into my playing, but by the third period, I was just upset and frustrated. Taking stupid penalties and giving away the puck in really stupid turn-over situations.

"Crosby!" Coach called to me as he called for a line change half-way through the third. "Dress down, Kid. You're done tonight." I nodded uncaring. She didn't want me... Why should anyone else.


I made my way down to the locker room, shedding my gear and disappearing into the showers. I sighed as the water ran down my back. I threw my suit on haphazardly and made my way over to coach's office. I wasn't going to wait in the locker room. I didn't want to deal with the press.


"What the hell was that, Sidney?" Even better....


"Hi Dad..." I muttered into the wood of Coach Dan's desk.


"Where was your head tonight?" With a pretty little blond who refused to talk to me... I shrugged.


"It was just an off day, Troy..." Mario came into the room followed closely by Coach Dan. "He'll be better by Friday's game. Right, Sid?" I nodded mutely. It was nice having someone on my side.


I was dismissed from the room quickly and left for my car. I got in and started towards home. I needed to talk to her... But how? She didn't want to talk to me...


I'd go in person tomorrow.






I work up early the next morning, my head pounding from the mental and emotional stress I put myself in. I needed to get out of this! And I knew there was only two ways.

1) Kill Jordan...

2) Get Harley to at least talk to me.


1 might be easier, but 2 would hold less guilt. I sighed deeply as I went through my morning routine. I'll just go down there... Not leave until she talks to me...

I hoped into my baby with a little more pep, stopping by a florists on the way. I know she said lilies were her favourite but nothing said I like you better than roses. I pulled up to Fiona Motors with roses in hand and headed back towards the garage.

"Ooh Sidney... You shouldn't have!" A loud, annoying, high pitched nasally sound came out from my left. I turned to see one of Mrs. Scott's daughters leaning across her bright pink car. Seriously? Who drives a pink car?

"I didn't..." I looked around confused. "Do you know where I could find Harley?" I asked her. She scoffed, loudly, and moved towards me causing me to back up slowly.

"What do you want with her, when you can have me..." She purred. Thankfully I heard a voice in the background.

"She's back here, Crosby." I turned and spotted Megan and sighed gratefully. Jogging towards her easily.

"Thanks..." I whispered as she opened the door to the office for me.

"I don't know, Rhonda..." I heard Harley's voice cry from the back of the office. "Because I'm just a worthless slave girl? Why would he want that?" Wait... was she talking about me? I started towards the voices, as Rhonda spoke up.

"Maybe because you're beautiful, and smart, and funny and down to earth. Harley.. Give yourself some more credit." I stopped in the door way where the two women were standing.

"She's right you know..." I spoke up before Harley could put herself down again. I took two long strides to her and took her small, grease stained hand in mine. "Harley, I don't know what someone told you. But you are anything but worthless. And you deserve to be treated like a princess. Please, Harley give me a chance?" She looked up at me, skeptical. "One dinner... If I make a complete mess of it and you still don't like me afterwards. I'll leave you alone." She studied me for a moment before nodding slowly.

"One dinner..." She reiterated by holding up her index finger. "Tomorrow. Meet me at Melting Pot. At 7." I grinned widely, nodding. YES! She agreed to dinner. I turned to leave before realizing I still had the roses in my arms.

"Oh!" I spun back to her. "These are for you..." I handed her the bouquet and leaned down to kiss her cheek gently. "Tomorrow... Melting Pot... 7pm..." She smiled nodding slowly, a simple blush creeping onto her cheeks, making her more attractive than ever.


The next day dragged on for forever! As I waited for the clock to strike 7. Finally at 6:00 I pulled out of my driveway and made my way to Melting Pot. I was able to get reservations, it didn't take much... Just mentioned my name. Sometimes it's nice to be known.

I was lead to our quiet table and waited patiently for Harley, who finally rounded the corner with the hostess at 7:15.

"Sorry," She gushed, looking a little flushed and frazzled. She looked cute like that, but I wanted to take all the stress away. "I thought I'd never get out of there."

"Busy?" I asked genuinely concerned.

"Something like that..." She sighed, waving her hand in front of her face like she was physically pushing the thought away. "Anyways.. It's over... For now..."


Dinner moved easily, we fell into the same easy conversation that we did at Diesel and the end of the night came quicker than I would have hoped.

"So..." I muttered, my hands in my pockets walking her out to her car. "Did I pass?" I grinned at her in the same fashion a small boy would grin at his mother when he wanted something.

"I'd say a generous B+." She grinned as my jaw dropped.

"B+? That was at least and A!" I exclaimed causing her to laugh as we reached her car. As I stepped closer to her, leaving inches between us, I bravely stuck my hand out and brushed a piece of hair out of her eyes. "Well if that was a B+..." I whispered leaning in even closer, "This should bring up my grade." I closed the gap between us with a gentle kiss, soft, short, simple. "Good night, Harley..." I whispered into her ear before heading back to my own vehicle. "Hey Harley!" I turned calling back to her. "Can I call you?"

4 comments:

  1. "1) Kill Jordan...
    2) Get Harley to at least talk to me."
    --Ahahaha! That was great!

    "Well if that was a B+..." I whispered leaning in even closer, "This should bring up my grade."
    --Okay, I seriously just melted. I am a pile of liquid goo right now. I would totally give him some extra credit, if you know what I'm saying.

    It was perfect, Heather. Absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I felt empty... Like colours would never be the same. Like life had ended but for some stupid reason I was still breathing."
    ^^ I got a gushy feeling there. Great description, and it KILLED me to think of that going through Sidney's mind.

    "1) Kill Jordan...

    2) Get Harley to at least talk to me.


    1 might be easier, but 2 would hold less guilt."
    ^^ Hilarious! lol I loved that... oh Jordan, what's in store for you?

    Really great Heather... Like I said, I'm use to competitive, all-hockey Sidney; and you've given him some more layers... so well done =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! She had dinner with him!! Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A+ for your update, Heather and definitely A+++ to Sid. Such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete