Saturday, September 5, 2009

Chapter 12: The World on My Shoulders

Shootouts.

The one thing that can make or break a single player.

I took a couple of deep breaths skating around in a circle, calming my nerves and my excitement as the ref blew the whistle for me to go. This right here was the hardest part of the game. Being the last shooter, having the world on your shoulders. But it was part of the job.

I took the puck on my stick and started forward. Right, left, right, left. Forehand, backhand. Which way to go. I studied Heut carefully as he reacted to my movement. What would be the best choice?

Up and over his blocker? Worked in the past. Effortless...

Five hole? Overdone.

Glove side, fake high, under his arm. Perfect.

I skated closer head far left, watching as he shifted with me. A small grin fell onto my lips as I moved closer right, allowing him to shift slightly. I moved the puck for my wrist shot, and twisted to make it seem like the puck would hit high.

I saw the light, knowing it was in, but shocked none-the-less. I did it!

I DID IT!!! WOOH!!

I could barely celebrate before I was bombarded by my teammates. We won! YES! Now to celebrate. We all headed towards the bench, Flower hanging back a bit to celebrate with me.

"Good shot, Sidney." He grinned patting me with his blocker.

"Good save, Flower." I nodded back, tapping my helmet to his.

"Diesel?" I nodded as we headed back to the locker room. It was loud and rowdy, most of the boys having beat us there.

Max had "We are the Champions" blaring into the room. Like usual.

"Okay, gang!" Max yelled, having stripped down to his undergear, I knew it was a matter of moments before the press bombarded us. "Diesel! Last one there buys!" He got my eye as I pulled off my jersey and grinned. Ass.

I sighed as most of the guys escaped to the showers and the press was let in. I know I didn't have a choice tonight. I sat there and gave my usual generic answers. We meshed well tonight, and we played like a true team. Yah it's nice getting the winning goal, but it's a team effort. Not an individual one.

Finally I escaped the interviews and had a quick shower before sliding back into my suit. Jordan was heading out the door just as I was throwing on my coat.

"You coming, Gronk?" I called after him.

"Yah... Gotta pretty little thing I have to entertain." He grinned widely as I followed him out the door.


Diesel was loud and packed by the time I pulled up. The bouncer waved me in, as I ducked my head past the women screaming my name. Damn it... One day I want to meet someone who has no clue who I am!

I let my mind wander, as I got up to VIP, to that girl at the garage. She didn't seem to know me. It was refreshing.

"Ahh, the money's here!" Max yelled as I sat down. "You better tell Leo it's your tab, buddy." I sighed and rolled my eyes at Flower and Vero as I stood to head towards the bar. I stopped mid-way as I saw she was there, standing at the bar, talking to Leo.

“Hey Leo, can I get margarita, a Vodka martini, a rum and coke...and just a beer for me please?” She yelled over the music, as I stepped up behind her.

“So...you fix cars and you drink beer...you’re like the perfect girl!” I grinned as I spoke into her ear. My smile grew as she turned and a look of recognition fell onto her face.

"Hey Sid." She smiled shyly. Oh... She knew who I was. I guess it just took her a bit to figure it out. I smiled and looked up at Leo who just brought her drinks. And a beer for me.

"Put it on my tab, Leo. The boys to." I sighed and picked up two of her drinks in one hand and mine in the other.

"You loose again, Crosby?" Leo laughed as he nodded.

"Ya, well... That's life. I'm still waiting for Talbot's turn." He chuckled again as I turned back to this girl.

"You didn't have to do that." She said, her smile falling slightly. I shrugged nonchalantly, taking in her appearance. She looked cute, dressed up, but not. What a body.

"It's the least I could do.... after all you are fixing my car." I grinned as her smile returned.

"Well then the least I can do is let you sit at my table." She smiled and I motioned for her to lead the way. She started towards a table that held Gronk surrounded by two gorgeous women. My first thought was that Jordan was playing up for a threesome, until I looked closer and saw the look of absolute panic found on his face.

“They seem pretty busy...do you by any chance want to get a table with me?” I looked down at her as she nodded thinking probably along the same lines. I took the other drink from her and set all three down onto the table Jordan and the mess he got himself into were sitting at before placing my hand on the small of her back and leading her to a small table near Max, Flower and Vero.

We sat and talked comfortably. It was nice just talking to someone about something other than hockey. I was able to tell her about my family back home. And how hard it was not to be able to be there for Taylor and her own hockey games. She told me her name, finally. Harley. And that she lived with her step-mother. I knew she loved cars, so we were able to easily talk about them.

It was nice. Finally, a time that I didn't have to worry about what someone already knew about me.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent Heather! I loved Sid's excitement about scoring the goal:

    "I did it!

    I DID IT!!! WOOH!!"

    Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. **"Diesel! Last one there buys!" He got my eye as I pulled off my jersey and grinned. Ass.**

    hahahah still laughing about that one

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Up and over his blocker? Worked in the past. Effortless...

    Five hole? Overdone.

    Glove side, fake high, under his arm. Perfect."

    ^^ I think you broke into Crosby's brain... no joke!

    Perfect =)

    ReplyDelete