Monday, September 14, 2009

Chapter 17: ...What Now...?

I had to leave the shop. Well, Megan told me to leave the shop. I think I was so upset, I had been making the customers uncomfortable. She told me to go get some coffee and come back in an hour.

I guess since she had been through this before, she knew what she was talkign about because she was right. After getting coffee and just cooling down from the whole scene before I felt a ton better.

I drove through the town, taking my time to observe my surroundings. I found myself at the old pitching field. I stared out at the warn grass and smiled at all the memories I had experienced here.

You never prepared me for this kind of hurt, dad.... What do I do now?

Sighing up at the skies I pulled my car into reverse and drove down to the shop. Pulled around back, to the employee parking and re-tied my body suit sleeves as I approached the front.

“Feel, better?” Megan asked me as a leaned against the car she was playing around with.
“Oh, yah... I also went down to the field for a bit, I think everything is going to be okay” Megan wiped her hands off and smiled.
“that’s good to hear”

We were interrupted by the obnoxious sound of Britney Spear’s ‘if you seek amy’ blaring from two, barbie pink convertibles pulling up. Sofia and Farrah rose from the seats, pulling off their Prada sunglasses.

“Harley!” they screeched as they entered the garage and nearly spat at the sight of me and Megan wearing such ‘dirty’ clothes.
“Yes...” I asked sighing.

“Were going to need you to finish our solar system models for science tonight...their due, and you wouldn’t want us to get a bad grade...” they commanded. Megan went into her ‘I will tackle you senseless’ stance and I put an arm on hers.
“That’s fine, I’ll be home at five” I said forcing a smile.

They nodded about to leave but were stopped at the sight of a delivery man.
“I have a delivery for a ‘Harley Scott’...” I smiled at the man and he walked them over. He left quickly. I looked down at the beautiful bouquet of white lilies. My favorite flowers.

I reached for the note attached but as I went to flip it open, it was snatched from my hand. Farrah smile wickedly and cleared her throat to begin.
“Please let me explain, It’s not funny, but it needs to be explained. Dinner?” she said in a mimicking romantic voice. They laughed and then Farrah continued.

“He even left his number... From Sid” Harley heart was crushed when she heard they were from Sid... Maybe they weren’t his, I probably jumped to the conclusion... It’s that stupid guard I always have up....damn.

“See the thing is Harley...” Sofia started as Farrah grabbed the vase from me.
“Sid gets to choose between us... Not some slave girl, who couldn’t look pretty even if they tried.” they both erupted in laughed and flung the note to the floor as they waked away with the flowers.

A single tear fell from Harley’s eye. They were right, she wasn’t meant to be with someone like Sidney. She didn’t fit the mold.
“Don’t listen to them for a second Harley, your worth it.” Megan said pickign up the note and placing it in my hand.

I looked up at her and she had that little glint in her eye. “What?” I asked annoyed at her attitude towards this.
“Nothing, just that, I heard Marc-Andre Fleury, the pens goalie is engaged and getting married soon. The plan is for me to convince Jordan to bring me as his date to the wedding, then we’ll find you a new man....sound good!” she enthused pulling down the top of a car.

“Whatever.” I mumbled going to the back of the shop to change so I could get home and start to work on the girl’s science project.

I waved to Megan as I left and zoomed home. I walked up to the attic and got started on the solar system.

After about an hour of putting together this stupid little solar system I had done so much thinking about the whole Sidney thing that I decided I should at least call.

I pulled the note from the flowers from my pocket and picked up my phone to call him. I punched in the digits and let the phone ring. On the second ring he picked up.

“Hello?” he asked. His voice was beautiful.
“Hi, this is Harley...”
“Oh! H-hey..” he said clearing his throat.
“What’s up?” I took a deep breath and continued knowing I could break down at any moment.

“It was so nice of you to send me flowers.”
“It was no problem, I hope you liked them” he said his voice filled with excitement.
“lilies are my favorite..” I said getting distracted by his voice again.
Fuck, stay on topic Harley.

“that---” he began, btu I cut him off.
“Sidney, listen. I’ve enjoyed getting to know you and everything. Btu I would like you to stop trying to contact me. I’m not the type of girl you should be with.”
“But that’s----”
“No!” I said firmly

“I’m not that girl Sid. Have a great life, you’re going to make a girl very happy one day. Bye” I heard him say something vaguely as I hung up and dropped into my bed. I pulled out my picture frame of em and my dad from under the bed and hugged it to my chest, as I let tears fall freely down my face.

‘Now what dad?... Now what?’

1 comment:

  1. Poor Harley, I wish she would have let Sid explain things to her. I hope he doesn't give up so easy!!

    ReplyDelete