Sunday, August 23, 2009

Trade Off: Megan's POV

My brother Tyler had moved to New York a year before I had left Boston for Pittsburgh. Growing up it had just been my dad, Cory, Tyler and me; Tyler was the only one who hadn’t followed in the family foot-steps. Instead of going for his Auto Technician certificate, he had opted to become one of New York Cities finest; the boys in blue.
I liked to give him a hard time about it, being my little brother and all, but the truth was I was so proud of him.
I didn’t get to see him very often, and as much as I would have loved to spend some time with Harley outside of work this week, I couldn’t pass a chance of going to visit him; even if it meant not being able to jazz Harley about the virgin thing. If my promiscuity didn’t make me feel like a slut before… wow!


“So, big sis… we hitting the clubs tonight?!” Tyler asked as he tossed my bag onto the spare bed.

“Are cops allowed to go clubbing?” I quipped, poking him in the stomach as I made my way back into the living room to watch some TV.

“Yes, and for your information… they can get their sisters’ free drinks at the VU all night!” I sighed, I didn’t really feel like going out but… free drinks! Plus, if I stayed in Harley would want to know why, and then she’d probably try and get me to talk about my ’feelings’ or something. So, maybe she was right in the fact that I had a little crush on Jordan, but that was as far as it went! There was no way I actually liked that obnoxious, self-centered, womanizer… he sure was hott though…
Ugh, stop it Meg you‘re starting to sound like a chick.
Normally this would be the time I plotted out my game plan for tonight, figuring out what time I wanted to leave the bar, and if I wanted to leave alone… instead I found myself staring at my cell phone, wondering if it would ring.



Tyler had all but abandoned me at the bar. He had always been the big 'ladies man' back home (I use that term very loosely), and apparently he had only perfected his craft since moving to New York. I watched my brother move through the crowd, laughing to myself. I flagged the bartender down for another shot of tequila, hey... if it's free, I thought grinning widely at the idea of free drinks all night.

After three beers and a number of shots I was feeling pretty good. I had several men approach me, trying their luck but, none of them interested me in the least bit.
Jordan... ugh! I can't believe I'm wasting a perfectly good Friday night wondering what he's doing. What the hell is wrong with me? He's a Pittsburgh Penguin Meg, God knows he's not thinking about you... He's probably got some Swedish twins at home with him by now... and I doubt it would be the Sedins....
I was never one for jealousy, I never cared about men enough to have any emotion beyond short-lived lust; but Jordan was different. We weren't together, not even close, and here I was getting heated over the thought of him with another woman... or knowing him, multiple women.

I swept my hair back behind me, adjusting the girls through the skin-tight black corset I was wearing as a shirt. I was beyond uncomfortable, but I knew it would be over soon... I hadn't planned on taking anyone back with me but I knew if I went home alone I'd end up thinking about him all night.

Jordan? My heart skipped a beat as I saw his cheeky grin across the bar.

Holy shit! He never said he was coming to New York. But that was him... smiling at me from across the room. Go to him or wait here? Wait here... smile back and then wait here.
I shot him that grin that I knew he loved before abruptly turning my back on him and ordering another drink. I glanced back over my shoulder a few seconds later to see that he was no longer in his seat.

"Hey..." Someone's cold beer touched the small of my back making me jump. I turned around and smiled up at Jordan. Or not Jordan.

"Oh..." He saw the look of disappointment cross my face. He seemed very taken aback by this and cocked his head to the side.

"I saw you lookin at me..." He nodded back over to where he had been sitting.

"Yah... sorry... I thought you were someone else... you... you look like this guy I know."

"Naw trust me babe, you're thinkin of me... Marc Staal... in the flesh!" He threw his arms out to the side and did a turn as if to give me the 'full package'. I couldn't help but laugh. If I had any doubts on who this was, even after the startling physical similarities and the last name; there were no doubts now. Only someone related to Jordan could be that obnoxiously cocky.

"Better than what you were lookin for, eh?" He laughed, leaning up on the bar and smiling at me.

It was crazy how much alike they did look... a few more drinks and I probably wouldn't notice the differences; hmm, that's not a bad plan. He kept grinning at me, expecting me to say something. "I wouldn't say better, I thought you were your brother."

He laughed, grabbing a piece of my hair and twisting it around his finger softly. "Let me guess... Jordan Staal fan?" He seemed extremely bitter.

"Not a fan no... I was born and raised in Boston so I'm a true Bruins fan actually... I met Jordan a little while ago, we have some ah - common friends." He nodded, staring at my hair that he was now unwinding off his finger.

"I find it hard to believe Jordan would let a pretty girl like you get away that easily... he's pretty charming when it comes to the ladies."

"Well, I'm not the kind of girl that can be charmed that easily." He grinned in response, bringing his eyes up to meet mine. He licked his lips as he dropped his hand back to his side. He stared at me for a minute more, I could tell he had something on his mind. "We're not together... and I didn't sleep with him... if that's what your wondering."

He watched me a bit longer before nodding to himself, apparently deciding that I spoke the truth. He turned back around and I ordered him a beer; he laughed at that.
My phone started vibrating in my purse and I pulled it out, expecting Harley. 'J. Staal calling...' Ok... awkward much. I hit the ignore button and put my phone back in my purse. I was desperate to answer the call, but I couldn't really answer when I was drinking with Marc at a bar... Ok wait! How the hell did I get into this situation?
My thoughts now fully back on Jordan; I started to drink, alot. Marc kept ordering shots and pretty soon we were toasting to everything.

Way too many drinks later the barkeeps was calling last call. I looked over at Marc to say goodbye, and felt my hands tremble. He was staring at me with lust in his eyes, he wasn't even bothering to hide it; but that wasn't what caused my breath to catch. Shit he looks like Jordan.

The lights were coming on when I realized that my brother had abandoned me completely.

"Shit!" I shouted, pushing away from the bar and nearly falling off my stool.

"Problem?"

"My brother... my brother's gone. Fuck! I don't know where he lives." Marc laughed, throwing his arm around my shoulder.

"Guess you'll just have to come home with me then..." I thought about saying no. Harley was right, I had it bad for Jordan, there was just something about him... as far as guys were concerned he was a rare find. There was no reason for me to go home with this guy when it wasn't where I wanted to be. Then I thought about Jordan, it's never gonna happen with him; stop wasting your time Megs.
Looking up into Marc's eyes made my decision for me. Hell, if you can't have the rare, you might as well take the spare. I nodded to him and slid my arm around his waist; allowing him to lead me out into the cool New York night.



I had snuck out of Marc’s apartment early the next morning, after unwinding myself from his arms and pulling my clothes back on. With a clear head I had called Tyler, who was finally sober enough to give me his address.
As soon as I was outside I had hopped in a cab and headed towards my brothers apartment.
Before I was there my phone went off.

Good night? Jordan… well… this was awkward.

Could have been better, you?


Same… bet you wish you’d woken up next to a certain NHL super-star eh?

I let out a groan. He seriously hadn’t just said that… lol, bet you wished you’d woken up next to a sexy mechanic.

Or two. He replied, always the perv, I thought; but I still found myself smiling. I had nothing left to say, but I didn’t want to conversation to end. Jordan appeased me.

When are you back in Pittsburgh?
He asked

Sunday. How did you know I was gone? I thought over in my mind the past few days, I didn’t remember telling him about coming to visit Tyler.

Harley. Was all he replied.

Oh cool, yah… Sunday.

I have a game against Chicago then. You wanna come watch?

I texted back without thinking: Sure! If you’re offering 2 tickets lol.

No prob. I’ll leave you tickets at the gate. See you then.

Bye.


The driver let me out in front of Tyler’s building. I tipped him a couple dollars and let him keep the 20 cents change, before heading inside; making a mental note to call Harley and invite her to the game. Let’s face it, the girl and I need to talk. This was an excuse to find out about her run in with Jordan, hook her up with Sidney, watch hockey, check out Patrick Kane (damn!) AND discuss more about the whole ‘V’ word thing… ick.

5 comments:

  1. Haha, oh Zigh... Still awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hell, if you can't have the rare, you might as well take the spare."

    Ahh, I love it!! Naturally you gotta throw the casual twenty cents in there somewhere.. haha

    Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ugh, stop it Meg you‘re starting to sound like a chick." --I thought that was hilarious. Even better than before, which I didn't think possible. Sedins = LOL. :D Excellent, Zigh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL 20cents! Kane sux!

    I don't understand what's so bad about Meg having her "V" card?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "He's probably got some Swedish twins at home with him by now... and I doubt it would be the Sedins...." Haha

    AND cameo by MARC STAAL!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete