Friday, August 14, 2009

Chapter 1: In More Places Than One

old bills and tax receipts for car parts surrounded Harley Scott. her loose pig tail braids were just pocking out of her dad's old 'Hal Scott's Body Shop' fading sweater.

she slumped over her work and stopped when she came across a bill for a 1960 mustang car part. she sighed, lookign around the completly different car repair shop that was now foreign to her.

when her father was runnign the place, it was rustic and very much a 'handy man's' place of work. but now, since the invasion of the electric everything, it was often impossible for Harley to see her father's memory in any part of this Body Shop.

Fiona, harley's step-mother had decided things needed to be changed...since they belonged to her. Her definition of change, was to completly make over the body shop and ad the addition of a car dealership up front. making it the main focus of Hal Scott's body shop...ot rather now called ' Fiona's Motors'.

Harley starred at the thin receipt and felt the guilt pushing against her heat.

- flashback-
"i'll be there soon monster. sorry i'm late, i'll rush over" hal spoke quickly through the phone.
"you're still at football practice, right?" he asked as i heard him leaving the shop and getting into his 1960 baby blue mustang.
"yes, dad. please hurry" i spoke through the phone quickly then hanging up.
i had been waiting more than twenty minutes on the curb with my equipment when instead of a blue 'stang, but a navy blue police cruiser pulled up infront of me.

"Harley Scott?i'm chief policeman srg. Harris. please come with me." i did as i was told and got my twelve year old self into the cruiser, with slight hesitance.

we drove in the direction of my house, and when we finally arrived, i was stuck in a blur of people telling and asking me things. the only thing i could manage to grasp was that there had been a red light, and my father had driven through it.

it was because of one red light, and because of it...my whole world came crumbling down.

- end flashback-

"HARLEY!!!" screeched through the repair shop and i jumped, turning to see the worst thing to ever happen to me, and my life.
"Hi, fiona" i said sighin, "what can i do for you?"

"I can tell you what you can do" she snapped through her lipo-infused lips. "you can just do what i ask!is it so hard? i asked you for my laundry, for my kitchen to be spotless and for my car to be waxed!" her obnoxious daughters looked down on me with glares.
"and we need our biology homework, now!"

"fiona, i did clean the cloths and the kitchen before i left this morning. and your car is waiting right there. and here---" i said reaching into my backpack "here are your biology papers"

they all scowled down at me, heat rising into their perfectly narrow eyes. "fine, nest time i shoudlnt have to ask" she fiona said fliping her hair, with her daughters following suit. "now, take off that discusting sweater, and wear the uniform that you're supposed to be wearing. just because you live in my attic doesnt mean you get special treatment!" she bellowed through the shop.

i nodded as i watched her leave. her stupid daughters following her every step. "oh and dont forget to clean the pool tonight!"she called over to me. i sighed reaching for the bills to put them back in their box.

i pulled off my sweater, and tossed it in the back fo my dad's old mustang, that was sitting, waiting for em to repair it. i wnet to the employee hooks and grabbed the stupid body suit fiona made everyone wear and pulled it on over my grye short-shorts. i tied the navy blue sleeves around my waist, letting my white v-neck show.

my manly work boots made thumping noises as i made my way over to the baby blue 'stang my dad and i named 'prince'. i went to work on the cracked radiator and was just simply enjoying the peace i got from working on this car. it was a big project, since the car accident had competly disstroyed it. but over the past eight years...it was really coming along.

i never had time to work on it. not with fiona's slave work for me and working full mornign and night sheifts and havign a full university class schedule at PITT. so when i did get the chance, i tried to enjoy every single second.
"Hey baby girl" i heard rhonda say sweetly from the side of the car. i took myself out from underneath the hood of the car to greet the manager slash my guardian angle. "hey rhonda, whats up?"

"i could ask you the same thing, their homework harley?seriously?" rhonda said placing her hands on her hips.
"please, dont start this, not today, okay?" i pleaded crossing my arms over my chest.
"alright, alright" she said raising her hands up in defense.
"but sooner or later harley, you're going to need to stop feeling guilty for your dad's death. a thing that you couldnt control."

i let out a large sigh, feelign it through my entire body. "its what he would want, lets please leave it at that?" my eyes begged rhonda and she dropped the subject reluctantly.
"fine, but theres a jaguar outside waiting, and i know there one of you're specialties..so go ahead"

"thanks, rhinda" isaid closing the hood of thecar and whipping the grease on my white shirt. "see yah!" i called over my shoulder. "love you!" she called after me, obviously frustrated with my head-head. "yeah, yeah" i said leaving the body shop entrance.

i walked out to an extremly shiny silver jaguar. as the owner saw me approching he got out of the car. i wasnt the type of girl to notice men, but in this case it was rather impossible not too. he had a strong build, and his face was perfectly chisled. he had bee-stung lips, and as i got closer i could see his amazing hazel eyes. a feature i always found to be interesting on someone. his curly brown hair was tucked under a reebok hat, and his hands were shoved into his pockets.

i shook myself out of my day dream knowing full well there was no use to even thinkign about even going there. "Nice ride" i said squinting as the sun reflected off the car. "what seems to be wrong?".


- mariabprice-

2 comments: