Thursday, August 20, 2009

Chapter 4: Winner of the Rat Race

I opened my eyes slowly. Looking around the room, I revelled in the silence. I moved to look at the alarm clock sitting next to the bed. Ten minutes before the alarm was meant to go off. YES! Beat it again!

I rolled out of bed and meandered into my bathroom. Turning the water on high in the shower, I stepped in and let the pressure from the warm jets work out some of the tightness in my back. Mentally I went over my day as the muscles loosened.

-Take the car in. It's clunking and I really didn't want to run home from Mellon later.

-Go for a run. 5 miles or so. Nice and short.

-Maybe skate a few laps. Work on my wristshot. I wonder if Staalsy or Talbo would want to work on some forechecking with me.

I stepped out of the shower, dried off and dressed quickly. Grabbing my wallet, cell and keys off my dress, I ran down the stair and into the kitchen. Nathalie was up and breakfast was on the table, surrounded by the kids. I ruffled Austin's hair as I snatched a piece of toast and a plain pancake before running towards the door.

"Thanks, Nat!" I called back towards the kitchen.

"Don't forget you're babysitting tonight, Sidney!" She shouted out to me. Dammit! I had forgotten. Ok, maybe no forechecking when I get to Mellon.

"No problem. I'll be back by 5." I ran down the steps finishing the last bite of pancake before sliding into my silver Jaguar XJ. My baby. I slid the key into the ignition and coaxed her as she struggled to turn over. "Come on, baby. I'm taking you in... Some genuine TLC. Just start."She finally started, clunking loudly as I pulled out of the driveway. Shit! I have no one to drive me back into the city! I grabbed my blackberry from the passenger seat and dialed Talbo's number.

"Hey it's Max. I--" I hung up, hearing it was his voice mail. Flower was next.

"Sid, what's up?" Flower asked. I could hear voices in the background.

"I need you to come and get me from that garage that Jordan recommended a while back. Remember the one I took the car into last year? She's acting up again."

"Sorry, man. I can't. V's folks are in town. I'm taking her dad golfing." There was a distinct nervousness in Flower's voice. Holy shit! He was asking Mr. Larosse for his blessing. I forgot!

"Hey no problem. Good luck, Flower.""Thanks, I'm going to need it." We signed off with a laugh, I knew he'd be fine. I could think of one other person.

"C'mon Jordan, pick up!" I urged willing him to be awake.

"S'happenin dude." Staalsy's voice flooded my ear.

"Staalsy, man! Can you meet me at that garage we always use? My car's being a bit dodgy so I'm on my way over to get it checked out. Meet me there." I said. I know Jordan and questions would get me no where fast. I barely heard his positive response before I hit the end button. Jordan was one of the few guys that knew how much I hated being on the phone.

My car clunked into the parking lot of Fiona Motors and I pulled to a stop near the garage doors. I pulled my cap lower over my eyes praying no one would recognize me until I could get out of here. My eye brow raised as a young girl started towards me. She even had pig tails in her hair... cute.I met her deep brown eyes just as she started to speak.

"Nice ride." She appreciated cars... Sweet. "What seems to be wrong with it?" It took me a second to find my voice again.

"Uhh... Well, I'm not a hundred percent sure.. She's not turning over well and there's a clunking noise every so often. I'm thinking shocks... Maybe?" What the hell was I saying? I don't know anything about cars! Shut up, Sidney!

"Well, lets take a look." She smiled. "Can you pop the hood for me?" I nodded mutely and did as I was asked. Standing out of her way and yet over her shoulder at the same time, I watched her peer into the hood of my car. I couldn't help myself, I took a moment to study her. She wasn't tall... Maybe 5'4? The coverals tied at her waist hid her hips, but you could tell she had some. Nice, not often you get a good looking mechanic. "Sir.. Hey you!" She called as I pulled myself out of my reverie. "I think I know what the problem is."

5 comments:

  1. Even though I know what's coming, I still love reading it. Great post, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jay!

    I must say... I love the way you describe Sidney's mind... too fan and sooo believable! lol can't wait for more =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just adore the way you portrayed Sidney. Reading his thoughts, so funny! I'm curious to read more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty much nailed Sid's personality, well not that I really know what it is, just how I imagine it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Shut up, Sidney!" That is the best line. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete